The Warrenheip Township is located five kilometres east of Ballarat just south of the Western Highway. It is named after from Mount Warrenheip, an extinct volcano.
Warrenheip was originally a farming community with the first settlers arriving in the early 1870’s. Many of these early settlers were of Irish descent and had a particular interest in growing potatoes in the rich volcanic soil.
A School on the Ballarat Goldfields
There have been facilities for education in Warrenheip for over 140 years. A goldfields school [No 674] was opened in a building rented from the Wesleyan authorities in June 1860. This school operated with the assistance of Government aid and school fees. In 1863 there were 49 pupils enrolled, increasing to 151 by 1874.
It had become obvious to the community that a new school was required to solve the problem of overcrowding. The local community became very active in its efforts to have the government establish a new school.
Warrenheip Primary School was opened on its current site in 1875.
The buildings are sited on large, attractive grounds and offer a spacious learning environment for the pupils.
The enrolment is drawn from urban and rural home.
Refurbishments over recent years have dramatically improved the quality of the buildings and grounds with the school now boasting:
- 5 classroom units
- 1 multi-purpose room
- 2 modern outdoor playgrounds
- new toilet amenities